08 December 2006

Song of the Week


I am resurrecting the "Song of the Week" - I believe the last one may have been "Freak-A-Zoid," a true classic. This week's song was inspired by Caroline's blog entry about Sufjan Steven's Christmas Box Set. From her description, it seems like the box set is a cavalcade of stickers, sing-a-long sheets, and Christmas-y goodness. I must run out and get it. I can already tell that it will be my soundtrack as I attempt to make most of my Christmas gifts this year.
As for the much awaited Song of the Week, it is "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head (Restore! Rebuild! Reconsider)." Known for his interesting song titles and amazing story telling ability, Sufjan Stevens is a little hard to describe. Just last week I was telling someone about Sufjan Stevens' music, and after a lot of rambling, the person still had no idea what a Sufjan Stevens song sounded like. I guess I can say that it is indie/pop/ folk and many instruments are used (not really that helpful). On the "Greetings from Michigan" CD, Sufjan plays: oboe, English horn, piano, electric organ, electric piano, banjo, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, vibraphone, xylophone, glockenspiel, recorder, wood flute and like minded whistles, drum kit, various percussion, shakers, sleigh bells, tambourine, dramatic cymbal swells, singing, rhetoric. Slacker.
I hope that you enjoy his music, and if you have a succinct way to describe this loveliness, let me know.

1 comment:

theRAB said...

Renee, the Sufjan Stevens is good. I am using "Come on let's boogie to the elf-dance" in my annual christmas mix cd.